Not so long ago I was thinking about the question: how to design first-rate Checkout Flow and Registration for ecommerce app for iOS. Interesting, isn’t it?
So, if you want to call into being this idea, you need to:
· Think about smooth registration (this will increase the number of users),
· Collect massive base of users
· Provide a feedback,
· Promote your app.
At the end of my thinking, I concluded that registration through the social networks like Facebook and Google is the best way to add new users in the first steps of the startup’s product development.
Also read our article: 10 Best and Simple tips of building B2B Marketplace step-by-step
What the best tactic?
Most of the ecommerce service giants allow people to use their app anonymously. But when the person likes some product or adds it to the wish list, the service offers to sign-up. And such giants like 6pm, Asos, Amazon, Etsy iHerb ask users to sign up when he or she is trying to add something to the shopping cart.
However, a similar tactic is not always a good idea for smaller startups. On the one hand, most of UX pattern that used by ecommerce giants are outdated and the big companies are not always trying to adapt to the wishes of their users. On the other hand, most people'd rather prefer old and uncomfortable UX than new and unfamiliar one.
So, how to accumulate big base of users and do not scare them with signup process at the same time? In such a point, Guest checkout is the best option for people who want to use your commerce product, make a purchase without registration.
Also read our article: SAAS Website development: 6 Top mistakes (How to fix them!)
Pros and cons:
- Less time. According to the statistic, about twenty-three percent of users prefer to terminate purchase if they see obligatory registration in the app.
- No annoying advertising massages.
- Do not need to enter personal information.
– Information about your credit card and shipping address is not saved. So you have to enter the info again with each new purchase.
– No personal product feed, so it will be harder to find new products.
- Doesn't lose these twenty-three percents of the customers.
- Higher percent that customer will complete the purchase.
- Lower level of the interaction cost.
- Still get some useful data like users emails.
– Fewer product reviews.
– Less feedback.
– It’s harder to track analytics about your audience (that could be very helpful for improvements).
I do not want Guest checkout, so what to do with regular registration/checkout process?
· Make less “fill-in” forms (ask for minimum information about contact and credit card or pay system).
· Make a secure app (work with secure paying systems like Stripe or PayPal).
· Text field labels must be visible (so people could check the input information).
· Make sure that you can help customers if the error occurs (users must see error alert clearly). And if it’s happened, give a clue how to fix it.
Also read our article: How to Find the Best Outsource Company for your Marketplace APP (Fast)
Do not scare the customer. Offer to register in your app gently and give an opportunity to choose if to become:
· a new user of the community,
· an anonymous visitor.
Moreover, show the advantages of being a new member. For example personalized product feed, the option to buy any item in one click, individual experience. Similar features could induce a person to register in your app. And in the end, do not forget about the quality of content that plays a key role in attracting potential customers.