You live and learn, but how to make an educational process interesting? In the application world educational apps have become so popular because with such apps the learning process is really interesting. In addition to it, you can use each free minute for learning. The time of boring lessons is over, and learning foreign languages or exploring something new has become a fun game.
If you have got some educational app ideas, this article is surely helpful for you, because we’re going to tell how to make apps for learning.
Types of educational apps
- eBooks or Encyclopedias which offer images, videos, mini-games, quizzes in addition to reading
- Games, Puzzles - help to improve memory, vocabulary, grammar, etc.
- Workbooks/Worksheets can be used both in the classroom and at home as an additional help for learning.
- Classroom apps have to be used at school classes
- Courseware is used for learning courses
- Assessment software is used for testing of pupils and students
- Reference software Books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.
- Specific educational apps are purposed for specific goals (driving test, typing tutors etc.)
- Other educational apps
Educational apps development
If you want to develop an app you should know why the educational app creation is a good idea.
- Educational Apps for Android are the first most frequently downloaded apps and Educational Apps for iOS are the third most frequently downloaded apps in 2018
- The people are more and more interested in learning from educational mobile apps because of lack of time.
- Children and teens usually prefer interesting learning games from the app over boring school lessons.
If you want to build a good educational app, first read how to create an app in general..
Concerning learning apps the steps are similar:
- you need to research the market and define your target audience;
- you need to develop features which will differ your app from the others;
- you have to decide upon the monetization.
Statistics on educational app download frequency
Educational app for iOS
Here is Statista research, showing that the iOS educational mobile apps are the third most frequently downloaded apps after business apps and games apps for September 2018.
Educational app for Android
Features which can be included in your app
Here are must-have features and additional features. Many of the features mentioned below are often used in the apps and with their help, the app becomes more user-friendly.
- Integration with social networks. It really saves time. Every app is using this feature because the user doesn’t need to sign up. The personal info is taken from one of the social networks.
- Clear planning and scheduling structure. If the user has got a plan for the coming week/month, the goals become more clear.
- Progress tracking and achievements. It’s always pleasant to see results and to understand that you move forward.
- Regular update - the users should get the latest relevant materials.
- Offline mode learning. The users should be able to learn without internetconnection.
- Cloud integration. This ability to store materials in the cloud is useful for many apps.
- Tests. Self-testing helps to estimate the achievements.
Successful examples of educational apps for iOS and Android
As the market is full of many interesting apps, we have to mention some of them. Here are the examples of top apps for study.
1. The Great Courses (Free, containing in-app purchases)
Downloading this app you get lectures from expert professors, the themes of lectures vary from literature and history to business, music, or even cooking. The lectures are provided with videos what simplifies the learning process. The app won’t cost you anything but you have to pay for individual courses. Additionally, a free trial is available.
2. Memrise (Free, premium version available)
This app is intended for learning a language and helps you to learn vocabulary through gamification.
With its help users learn words and phrases of the chosen language and recognize them aurally.
There are many topics to choose from. Actually, it’s for free, but if you pay for a nanodegree service you’ll get feedback from experts. The certification will cost $200.
This app uses flashcards for learning. There are many subscription choices: per month, per year, for a lifetime.
Due offers countdown reminders: both daily and weekly. They synchronize across your devices and automatically shift if crossing time zones.
It’s a real help for people trying to solve a difficult task. If you write some question or make a photo of it, you’ll get the solution and the steps leading to it.
7. Math Motion: Cupcake!
It’s a game for children in which they learn to count due to running a cupcake business. They need to figure out the cost of cupcakes, fulfill orders and make other calculations and unwittingly learn math on the elementary level.
8. Periodic table.
This periodic table entertains with its learning process offering you different levels of data and videos about each element.
This app offers videos helping to learn about design, marketing, business, etc. There are many free videos but there are prepaid lectures, too.
Evernote provides users with notes, to-do lists, offers tools for taking photos and voice reminders.
You ask why the above mentioned-apps became popular. Because:
- they are practical and easy;
- have unique features;
- solve problems of the defined target audience;
- have a clear structure;
- some of them offer gamification of learning;
- add to it an interesting design and you’ll understand how the successful app should look like.
Additionally, you need to think about the monetization. There are some points you need to know about. The competition in the educational niche is quite tough and the income won’t be very large at once. As it was already mentioned above, you have to research the market and define your target audience; then decide upon features which will differ your app from the others.
Educational apps have become popular because they offer an interesting way of learning and many other comfortable features for studying. According to statistics, they take the third place in iOS and the first place in Android on the app download frequency.
For the educational app creation you should firstly find out how to build a regular app. You have to remember that the app should solve some problem, have a clear structure etc.
Also, remember to think about the monetization.
Of course, you can create an app by yourself. But if you want to develop an educational application and need advice from the expert team, we are ready to help you! We will help you to succeed!